Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Value Of Nothing


Did you watch that video? If not, please do before you continue reading. Don't worry, I'll wait.

Now that you have watched it, what do you think? I think that Raj Patel made some very interesting points, and one of the things he talked about has been on my mind a lot lately, especially since I have been trying to get my family to eat better. Why are organic foods more expensive than their chemical laden versions? This doesn't make sense to me, really, because aren't these farmers saving money by not putting all the chemicals on these plants and in the soils? Shouldn't these saving trickle down to us, the consumers? I could be totally off, because to be honest, I have no idea how much it costs to grow vegetables either way, but in my mind, if you are using less product to begin with, shouldn't the end product be a little cheaper?

I know Junior and I could both stand to lose weight. But to eat healthier, we need to spend more money on food, because the better choices cost more money. For instance, we can eat spaghetti with sauce and bread for about $4, feeding the whole family, and having enough left over for Junior to take some to work. If I were to buy the organic sauce, it would be a couple of dollars more. Being on such a tight budget, I can not afford to pay the extra $2, so we miss out. How is that fair?

Anyway, it has been a long time since there has been a book not written by dean Koontz that I have really wanted to read. This is a book I really want to read. It looks so interesting. I can buy the book, and so can you, for only $14. Or, you can do like I did and try and win a copy of this book by simply filling out the form with your name, address, and email. That's it. It took me all of about two minutes, and hopefully I will be one of the lucky winners. If not, I will buy myself a copy.

I am really looking forward to learning the value or nothing.

No comments: