Friday, September 24, 2010

A New Kind of Hike

Guest post written by Joseph Finch

Aaaahhhh, Fall! My favorite season to experience the fresh mountain air and hike my cares away. Fall is the BEST time to hike; no bugs, no crowds, no heatwaves. Just strap on my boots, throw some water into the backpack, set the home security alarm we got from brookhaven Adt broadview, and head to the trail.

Wait. That was BEFORE I had two kids. I still love to hike in the Fall, but preparing and executing the hike has certainly taken a turn! Now I'm packing, diapers, bottles, snacks, extra clothes, extra diapers, extra snacks, water, juice, chocolate milk, front pack, backpack, stroller, and don't forget the dog!

I'm nearly exhausted before we get to the trail. That's not going to stop us from having some good 'ole family fun. On the trail I remind myself to take time to revel in nature, breathe the crisp air, and NOT get frustrated when my son stops every two steps to crouch low and check out some wonder; maybe a leaf, a twig, a bug.

There is nothing like the wonderment of a child in the woods to teach you to slow down. As an adult I find myself too driven to just "get there", when "there" isn't necessarily any better than where we are right now. I'm now using my hikes as pleasant reminders to enjoy life, EVERY step of the way.

No comments: