Thursday, March 18, 2010

Out Of The Way Getaways

I know I have been talking a lot lately about getting away from the everyday, mundane things and hitting the road for a nice little getaway. I have been researching different destinations online, and have come to realize that I really do not want to visit a major city. I am sure that all the Hotels In Rome are wonderfully luxurious, but I want something more than a nice hotel room.

I want an experience I will remember.

When Junior and I went on our honeymoon, we had no destination in mind. We just packed a few days worth of clothes and hit the road. We ended up in the mountains of North Carolina, visiting every little hole in the wall place we could find. Our greatest find was a tour of an underground cavern. At one point I was scared to death, because we were on this tiny little metal walkway that went over a bottomless pit, and there was no where to turn around, and we were stuck while the guy spoke about what was beneath us. I about had a panic attack! But, it was an awesome experience, and I don't think we would have found this place if we had a moment by moment itinerary.

Sometimes spontaneity is the way to go.

No comments: