Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Grimace Pins

I used to work at McDonald's.  Twice.  Once in New York when I was a teenager, and then in South Carolina after I became a mom.  I have always said that it takes a special kind of person to work fast food, because you have to know how to deal with the public, which is not always an easy thing to do.  I must have been one of those special people, because I loved working there. 

One of my favorite things was earning the Lapel Pins they would give to the crew to promote the different promotions, such as Monopoly, and also for doing an extraordinary job.  I have a ton of Grimace pins, because he was my favorite character, and I was always in charge of his visits to the store. We considered these pins Trading Pins, too.   If someone else earned a Grimace pin, they knew I would trade for it.  It was kind of like baseball fans trading Baseball Pins.  

I am hoping that if I hold on to these pins, they might be worth something someday.  I have some that are over 20 years old already.  They are in pretty good shape, too.  I just can't believe that I can now start a story with, "when I was working at McDonald's twenty years ago".  When did I get so old?

No comments: