Thursday, July 22, 2010

In Fact, It Is Brain Surgery

Tuesday night, my girls watched Deadliest Catch with me.  In that episode, the rest of the fleet found out about Captain Phil's death.  As usual, I had tears running down my cheeks by the time it was over.  It was especially hard for me to watch when Sig found out Phil had died.  When it ended, Brandi asked me why I was crying.  I told her it was because the show was so sad.  She just shrugged and walked away.

Yesterday, Junior asked about the show, and if I cried while watching.  I told him I did, and then Brandi again asked why it was so sad, and when I told her, she wanted to know why Phil died.  I told her, and we started talking about Phil's head in the last couple of episodes, because it was shaved, and kind of sunk in where they had removed his skull.  I told her the next time she saw my dad, to ask to his scar.

I was trying to figure it out, and I think it was in 1994 that my dad had a brain aneurysm and had to have brain surgery.  He didn't need gamma knife treatment; the doctors just went in and fixed the aneurysm.   Thankfully, and luckily, he didn't have any permanent damage.

I know that most people have some kind of negative side effects after brain surgery, whether it be from tradition surgery or acoustic neuroma gamma knife surgery.   Even brain tumors can cause all kinds of problems to a persons brain. There is memory loss, and loss of function to the body, just to name a couple.  I remember an episode of ER where Dr. Greene went to a brain tumor clinic and they operated on his brain while he was still awake, to make sure he didn't lose any functions.   I wonder if they do that in real life?

No comments: