Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Forks

I have a confession to make. You may think I am weird, but that's okay. I have accepted the weirdness in myself. What makes me weird today, you ask? It's all about forks.

Yes, I said forks. And spoons. You see, over the years, I have bought several sets of silverware, mostly from wal-mart. I will usually buy the cheap sets, because lets face it, with young kids, forks and spoons tend to get lost. No one will ever admit to throwing them away, but they end up in the trash somehow. I'm okay with that.

A few years ago, a friend of the family gave us a nice set of cutlery and silverware for Christmas. I will be the first to admit, it was a beautiful set. Did you catch that I said was? Yes, that's right, there are only a few forks and spoons left. I was careless enough to let the kids use them, and they somehow disappeared. The remaining few are my favorites to eat with, because the tines are perfectly spaced, and the spoons have just the right dip in them. Now, when I say favorites, I mean that I will not use any of the other forks in the house. It has to be those, or I won't eat. I know, it sounds crazy.

But there is just something about eating with good silverware that makes me feel special. Not to mention that it makes a set table look more elegant. I think one day I will invest in a new set, one that is shiny and beautiful. But for now, until the kids are more responsible, I will eat with my special fork, and let them use the wal-mart stuff. That's just the kind of mom I am.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Sure blame the kids! A couple years ago I bought a set. Nothing fancy, just something on sale at Target. I've only ever lived with adults. Still, I have missing pieces. I know for a fact that I have never thrown a piece away, or taken a piece out of the house. Yet, missing all the same. In my opinion, it's more mysterious then then sock/dryer phenomenom. :-0

Forgetfulone said...

The silverware disappearing since I got remarried three and a half years ago is a BIG complaint with me! I hate that his daughters take the silverware to their rooms. It gets lost in the "black hole."

When I first read the title, I thought this must be about Twilight! Forks? Remember? Of course you do!