Saturday, December 6, 2008

My Sister's Birthday

Today is my sister Tami's birthday. She turned 38. Only two more years until the big 4-0. We're only eighteen months apart, so I guess that means I only have a little over three years until I'm 40. Wow. That seems so unreal. I find it funny that I can refer to things that have happened twenty years ago, when I was in high school. We were not very close growing up. She had her friends, and I was a shy, overweight teen who liked to just blend in with the crowd. I did end up working at the same place she did when I turned 16, and her friends soon became my friends as well. I didn't date as much as she did. To be honest, I didn't have my first real boyfriend until I graduated high school. I know, I'm such a dork. I didn't even have my first real kiss until I was sixteen years old.

I found it difficult following in her shadow. She liked to steal the boys I liked, and was always more popular. I remember one time she was dating a New York City cop. He used to come over, and he would always have at least one gun on him. Now, I hate guns and always have. I am sure for people who know how to use them, they are perfectly safe. But when he used to take his out of his ankle holster,I was always afraid he would accidentally shoot me. I know now that that is kind of ridiculous. He was a cop, and he knew how to handle his weapon. It's not like he ever pointed it at me or anything.

I am happy to say that as we have gotten older, we have learned to get along. Getting married and having children of our own has brought us closer, and I can honestly say that I couldn't ask for a better sister.

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

Happy birthday to your sister! I hope she as a wonderful one.

Jennifer said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO TAMI!!

i always wanted a sister, but not sure i could have handled actually having one. lol i had a foster sister for over 5 yrs and it was awesome... we were little though. i'm sure it would have still been awesome to have her around as i got older too.

i'm glad that you and your sister have gotten closer and enjoy one anothers friendships. :)

xoxox

PS... I don't think you are a dork at all... NOT ONE BIT!! :)