Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Sex Ed

My kids are old enough now that they are starting to ask questions about sex. Ryan and Kasi both just had sex ed in school. This is the third year for Ryan, and the second for Kasi. Parents had to sign permission slips, and the kids were told that they were not allowed to discuss what they learned outside of class. This strikes me as a little odd. They give the kids the some information, but then tell them they can not talk about what they learned.

I know they were taught the basics, about reproduction and birth control, but the teachers weren't very comfortable answering the kids questions. I remember being that age, and not knowing who to turn to for the answers to my questions. Eventually I asked my older sister, and she was able to fill me in. These days, kids are turning to the internet. There is so much information out there, and not all of it is appropriate and true. I did, however, find this website where you can ask questions about sex and find truthful answers. I don't know that I want them reading it just yet. They are only 12 and 13 years old. But when the time comes, and they come to me for answers, I know where to go to help them find the answers they need.

1 comment:

Missy said...

Alex took health in public school for about day they discussed sex and then we had him taken out- it was nasty! He came home and we were floored! And I know they told it to him because he was as shocked as we were!!!

You'll have to email me or drop me a line on FB! It was horribly graphic! It shocked Sam and I! I never thought they would be talking like this in school it wasn't our thought of sex ed it was more like HBO after hours!! LOL!

I'm glad you found this website I hope it helps parents.