Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Getting A Job

I was watching the news last night, and they were doing a piece on resumes. Because of the way the economy is right now, and with so many people looking for work, they were offering tips on how to have your resume noticed, so that you can be called in for an interview. I did not know this, but a lot of companies are scanning resumes, looking for key words. This means that your resume may never be read by an actual person. They pointed out that in today's economy, companies are looking for goal oriented, cost cutting workers, so using those phrases can help you land an interview.

If you are called in for an interview, be prepared. Do a little research about the company, and have specific ideas on how you can be an asset to them. Don't sell yourself short, but don't be overly assertive. I went on an interview once, and lost the job based on one question. I know this because the woman doing the interview stopped right there and sent me on my way. I will never forget what she asked, because I now have an answer ready for the next time.

She asked me who my favorite teacher was in school, and why. At the time, I completely drew a blank, and told her that I didn't have one. Looking back, I realize I should have at least made something up, She never would have known. However, I am now prepared for the next time. It was my fifth grade teacher, Mr. Kalinowski, because he encouraged me to always do my best, and he had faith in my abilities as a student. I studied harder knowing he expected more of me, and that is a quality I still possess today. When I am challenged, I work even harder. I strive to do my best, and will not settle for less.

If you are looking for accountancy jobs, or any kind of job right now, make yourself stand out from the crowd. There are only so many job available, and more than enough people willing to do them. Always be honest, and be prepared. A little effort beforehand can make a big difference.

No comments: