Monday, June 8, 2009

I Need A Will

Junior and I do not have a will. I know we should, if only to make sure that my mom gets the kids if something happens to us. We don't own a house, or have any valuable possessions that we have to worry about losing. I am pretty sure that no one in this world would want my elephant collection. Well, maybe one of the girls will, but I doubt it. I do have my Grandmother's and my Mother's rings that I want the girls to have, but that's about it. It's kind of sad, actually, that we have nothing to leave our children.

I guess a positive could be that the kids won't have anything to fight over. I have heard so many horror stories about families being torn apart over the things loved ones have left behind. More people should look into estate administration, and Michael Baker can help with that. He specializes in elder law and estate planning. He can take care of the legal aspects of estate planning, and because he has a background in finance, he can work with accountants and insurance advisers to make the process a whole lot easier. I hope when our time comes, Junior and I can find someone like Michael Baker to look after our affairs.

I dread the day Juniors dad passes. I know he has a Will, but I also know that his brother and sister will fight over their dad's house. Junior says he wants no part of it, but I get the feeling that he might change his mind when the time comes. I mean, we paid that mortgage for six years. We should get something for that. I would be perfectly happy to never have anything to do with any of them ever again, but that's just me.

No comments: