Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Other Boleyn Girl

I have been wanting to see this movie for a while now. I love showtime's The Tudors, and thought I knew this story well. Most of the things were familiar to me, but there was one little fact that never came up on The Tudor's, and I'll get to that in a second.

We all know that Henry VIII (Eric Bana ) had many wives. The first was Catherine (Ana Torrent ) but he grew unhappy with her when she couldn't give him a son. Enter the boleyn sisters, Mary ( Scarlett Johansson) and Anne ( Natalie Portman). Mary becomes the kings mistress while married to another man. In the movie, she gives birth to the kings son. On The Tudor's, this was never mentioned. (I checked online, and history says Mary may have given birth to the kings son) While she is giving birth, Anne makes the king decide that in order to be with her, he must never speak to Mary again. We all know he chose Anne, and that it doesn't end well. If you want to know the rest, watch the movie, or go read a history book. :)

1 comment:

Stephanie Barr said...

I don't look to this show for accuracy. There's no reason to assume Anne actively acted to cut Mary out with Henry VIII (and Anne takes steps to provide for her after Mary's husband dies).

I personally found the movie disappointing compared, say, to Anne of a Thousand Days (not that is necessarily historically accurate either).